Read about La Bruja of the Cross Bronx Expressway

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I've found the urge to write again

     I wrote yesterday. Not so amazing news? It is for me. Since I've published my book I have not written a word. Oh, I've written ads and a dozen other forms of advertising, but I have not written anything I would consider literary. The biggest reason is that I've been so busy learning how to "build a platform," and about marketing and advertising. I've had little time for anything else. After spending years in a little corner writing page after page I am now expected to sell my book to all of the many friends I did not make because I was too busy writing! Publishing my book has been mind melting. That's what sucks about self publishing, maybe trade publishing too, you spend so much time on the business of publishing there's no time left for writing.

     I've just started to get the urge to write again. Oh sure, my subconscious has never stopped sending me new ideas, voices, and images. They still come and try desperately to leave a story behind, but I do not let them. I have been pushing away new ideas for months. Creativity is distracting, and right now, my life is about telling the world about my book. I've even been thinking about taking a break from writing for a few years and going back to school. I'm getting older, the jobs getting harder, and higher education might be a better plan for changing my life than writing another book.

     So what did my literary work produce? A very interesting short story, and that's all I want it to it to be. The only kind of relationship I want with my writing right now is something fun, non-committal, sexy. No novels and long relationships. However, I must admit it felt wonderful to feel the images and voices rush into my mind and not push them away. I felt the joy of  discovering new places and people again. I will finnish my little story, but I'm in no rush. I want to savor the process of writing it like I would a great meal, slowly. I still have new ads to create, stats to check and promotional giveaways to think about - everything a self-publisher has to do to survive. However, from now on I will make time to write. I've been so busy trying to save my book from literary oblivion I had forgotten that warm comfortable feeling that comes over me when I put words on paper. 

     Bye the way, I've gotten 91 "likes" on Facebook, Thank you! My goal is 100 and I'm posting like a madman to try to get there. Sales are depressing right now, but that's okay, they'll pick up. I know my readers are out there somewhere, I just have to keep searching for them.

 Until next time, I continue writing into the wind.

Lucho

   


No comments:

Post a Comment